School League

Cotswold Floorball League 21st March 2017

Tonight’s ‘B’ Team Final was contested between the holders, St Davids, and Sedgeberrow, the first First School to take part in any of the League’s competitions in its twenty one year history.
St Davids topped the qualifying table and had a full squad of players. Some of these are in their final year at the school, others are very young and at the start of what is hoped will be a long playing career.
Sedgeberrow had never played before this season, finished six points behind St Davids, but learned quickly and had a close semi final win to get this far. Their squad of eight players are all in Year Five.
The previous meeting of the teams in a short match resulted in a 1-1 draw. The final was to be forty minutes long, with the prospect of extra time. Each team had spells of concerted attack interspersed with determined defence. It proved to be a very closely fought final. At the end of the match each team had made twenty shots, but the big difference was that Sedgeberrow had managed to net seven of theirs whilst their goalkeeper, Owen Byron, proved to be unbeatable.
Sedgeberrow went straight into the attack, but could not penetrate the Saints defence. It was the first free hit which led to a score, Reid striking the ball high into the net. It took nearly five minutes for Saints to get a shot on target. This was the start of a good spell for the Moreton team where they dominated the play, Skye Drinkwater sending in many shots. The best of these attacks saw Byron save from Lilly Whitworth, then somehow parrying Theo Allen’s rebound attempt. Byron was beaten by Whitworth on a couple of occasions only for the shots to rattle back off the post. Defender Bella Righton even tried to score from deep in her own half, but Byron saved yet again. With two minutes left to half time, Reid robbed a defender and shot from his preferred left side to make it 2-0.
St Davids still had the chance to retain their title and pushed forward from the start of the second period. Drinkwater’s early pass to Ethan Toon looked perfect, yet was well saved. Another series of shots hit the post. Sedgeberrow could not get a look in until Jake Lewis’s pass from the right wing found that Reid had evaded his marker and he scored from his team’s first shot of the half.
Drinkwater continued to be her team’s most potent striker, yet every variation she and her fellow forwards tried was frustrated by a solid Sedgeberrow defence.
The final six minutes saw a devastating spell of scoring as Reid again scored from Lewis’s pass, followed by Reid’s fifth when his first time shot was lashed home from Byron’s accurate throw bouncing off the wall. Reid’s sixth was scored from a Kai Webb pass, just nine seconds after the previous goal. Webb again provided the pass for the final goal, Lewis scoring.

Winning Team:
Leo Brown, Jake Lewis, Kai Webb, Harry WArbank, Audan Reid, Owen Byron, Max Wright, Callan Price.
Sedgeberrow 7-0 St Davids
Reid (3′, 18′, 29′, 34′, 35′, 36′), Lewis (38′)

Next week, Tuesday 28th March 2017,  is the Girls’ Team last qualifying round between Ilmington, Bourton on the Water, Temple Guiting and Mickleton, to decide who will meet St Davids in the final.


Cotswold Floorball League 14th March 2017

After today’s nine matches in the Cotswold Floorball League’s Girls’ Competition it was hoped that the finalists would be immediately evident. Unfortunately, this was not the case as a series of very close results left Ilmington, Temple Guiting A (who were waiting to see what happened), Mickleton and Bourton on the Water (the holders) locked together. They all trailed St Davids, who will go straight into the final. The four other contenders for the final will have to play again, the top team going to the title decider.
St Davids opened with a 1-0 win over Mickleton, Jasmine Chamberlain scoring early on. Each team had its chances, but the defences stayed strong. St Davids went on to play Temple Guiting B, who were trying to take points off the rivals of their own ‘A’ Team. Ruby Farrell netted five times to push her team ever closer to a guaranteed place in the final, Skye Drinkwater adding a lone score in the 6-0 win. Saints now needed a single point to reach the final, which they did with a convincing 2-0 win over Dormer House, Lilly Whitworth and Farrell scoring.
Ilmington and Mickleton both needed wins to be sure of reaching the final, Mickleton gaining the upper hand when Tilly Walker netted with only three minutes to go. Her goalkeeper, Sophie Smith, kept her team in the match with a point blank save as Ilmington pressed for the equaliser and kept a clean sheet to the final whistle. Beth Keylock’s lone goal gave Mickleton a 1-0 win over Bourton on the Water and a place in at least a semi final. Mickleton have not had the chance to play the three lowest ranked teams, St Catharines, Sedgeberrow and Willersey, which all have the potential to take points off more fancied sides.
Ilmington boosted their semi final chances with a 2-0 win against Temple Guiting B, Maisie Withers scoring both. Nuala Lamballe, a first timer in goal, kept her team in the match with a series of saves, without which the score would gave rampaged out of control. Withers also scored the only goal against Dormer House to send her team to the semi final group. Mery Sutherland was in good form in goal, keeping out several Dormer House shots.
Bourton on the Water only just made it into the semi final group with a 0-0 draw against Dormer House. Georgie Campbell was in good form in the Dormer goal. Bourton’s Lucy Hyland started well against Temple Guiting B, hitting the bar, then scoring. Bourton kept up the pressure, but failed to score any more. Guiting’s rare forays were also unproductive until an apparently harmless snapshot by Millie Swait was deflected off two sticks and crept into the net to earn a 1-1 draw.

Mickleton 0-1 St Davids
Temple Guiting B 0-6 St Davids
Dormer House 0-2 St Davids
Dormer House 0-0 Bourton on the Water
Dormer House 0-1 Ilmington
Mickleton 1-0 Ilmington
Temple Guiting B 0-2 Ilmington
Temple Guiting B 1-1 Bourton on the Water
Mickleton 1-0 Bourton on the WaterNext week, Tuesday 21st March 2017,  is the ‘B’ Team Final between Sedgeberrow and St Davids, the holders..


Cotswold Floorball League 28th February 2017

The Cotswold Floorball League’s ‘A’ Team finalists have been decided. The final group of six teams consisted of four (Bourton on the Water, Temple Guiting, St James and Dormer House) from one of the original qualifying pools, and just two (St Davids and North Cotswold SF) from the other. Bourton were in the strongest position , with two good wins from earlier games. Everyone else had to catch them.

St James started brilliantly, with a 5-0 demolition of a good St Davids team. Angus Tombs’ three goals in as many minutes were followed by scores from Ethan Hill and Malachy Jones. North Cotswold proved to be more difficult opponents, going ahead through Gethin Custard. The Federation’s goalkeeper, Jake Brown,  had an excellent game, with a host of great saves, but was eventually beaten in the final seconds when Oliver Solomon’s shot crept in at the near post. This left St James on top of the group with eight points. They could only wait and see, hoping that results would go their way.North Cotswold and Temple Guiting fought out a goal less draw. Brown again kept his team in the game with a reflex save during the power play which ended the game.  NCSF also drew with Bourton. Bourton’s Lauren Jeffries opened the scoring after taking Jack Larner’s pin point pass. The Bourton defence refused to give many chances, but could not prevent Harry Martin’s free hit from sailing over the defence wall and dipping into the top corner. The Federation pressed forward for the winner and were rewarded when Martin netted once more. However, with seconds remaining, Seth Townsend scored straight from the face off to earn a draw which could prove vital in the final reckoning. NCSF ‘s chances of reaching the final were quenched when Dylan Glockling and Finlay Holland-Bird gave Dormer House a 2-0 win. Dormer House were  hoping to return to a final they last graced in 2006, when they won their sixth title in a row. They needed three wins to do it, having only finished fourth in their qualifying pool.

Dormer House started well against St Davids, Glockling putting them 2-0 up within minutes. St Davids fought back well, Matthew Hitchings pulling one back with the best goal of the night. Joe Winder stifled a Dormer attack and lobbed the ball high to the edge of the goal area. Hitchings ran in and deftly flipped the ball over the keeper. Pure skill! Ross Harding pounced on a rare defensive lapse to level the scores. Saints thought they had the winner when Brodie Young moved across to save a fierce shot, the rebound being cleared straight to Glockling, who scored the winner.

St Davids also lost narrowly to Bourton on the Water (2-4) and Temple Guiting (2-3). A Lewis Martin power play goal put them ahead against Temple Guiting, but Will Puddy levelled after a spell of intense pressure. The pressure continued, allowing Sam Sinfield to put Temple Guiting 2-1 up. Will Bevis’s saves helped to keep the lead, but could not prevent Harding’s late equaliser. Even the, there was just enough time for Ted Maude to win the match for Temple Guiting. Saints were intent on spoiling Bourton’s chances when Harry Winder’s rocket long shot and Lewis Martin’s low strike each found their way in off a post. Bourton were late in finding their form, but did so in an unanswerable way. Larner, Townsend, Lucy Hyland and Townsend again, quickly nade it 4-2, earning a place n the final.

One match remained. Dormer House had to win. A draw would force a semi final with Temple Guiting. A loss and Temple Guiting would be in the final in their stead.
Despite their best efforts and not knowing that they had qualified, Bourton could not reproduce their form of the previous game. Ethan Cooper, Glockling and Fergus Cronin gave Dormer House a lead which was only reduced when Jefferies netted late in the game. The win put Dormer House on top of the group and Bourton on the Water in second place. They will meet, probably in late March, to decide where the League Trophy will reside in 2017.

Temple Guiting are third and St James are fourth, with North Cotswold and St Davids in fifth and sixth.

St James 5-0 St Davids
Temple Guiting 3-2 St Davids
Temple Guiting 0-0 North Cotswold
St James 1-1 North Cotswold
St Davids 2-4 Bourton on the Water
St Davids 2-3 Dormer House
North Cotswold 0-2 Dormer House
North Cotswold 2-2 Bourton on the Water
Dormer House 3-1 Bourton on the Water

Next week, 6th and 7th March 2017 there will be a chaotic groupd of matches in all three competitions. The ‘A’ Team competition should see the lower rankings tidied up. The ‘B’ Team competition will see the finalists decided. The Girls’ competition will make a little progress towards completing qualification.

Cotswold Floorball League 21st February 2017

Some progress was made in both the ‘B’ Team and Girls’ competitions at tonight’s Cotswold League matches.
CCS played their last match of the season and were chasing a season’s 100% playing record against Blockley. Any nerves were calmed early on when Archie Wilson netted. Harrison Beale soon made it 2-0. Ollie Gibb, never straying from his defensive role, then intercepted a Blockley attack right in front of keeper Robert Grinnall and sent a long lob the length of the pitch. It sailed into the top right hand corner of the net to everyone’s amazement. Breyten Armstrong made it 4-0 before another Gibb long shot sealed the game.
St Davids needed a win to secure a guaranteed place in the ‘B’ Team Final and did this against Blockley, Skye Drinkwater (twice) and Thomas Chamberlain sending shots home by the post in a 3-0 win. Blockley’s third match of the evening was much better from their point of view, Joe Harrison scoring all four  against Temple Guiting.
St James also needed to win to give themselves a good chance of reaching the final. Oliver Beale (twice) and Henry Hyde gave them a 3-0 win over Temple Guiting. They must now wait to see how Sedgeberrow fare against the same opponents. A win for the Worcestershire team will force a play off. Any other result and St James are in the final. Dormer House and Blockley still have to play, but can only fall a point short of St James.

‘B’ Team Matches
Blockley 4-0 Temple Guiting
Blockley 0-5 CCS
Temple Guiting 0-3 St James
St Davids 3-0 BlockleyThe situation in the Girls’ League is still unclear.
Bourton on the Water started their charge towards a hoped for place in the final with two hard earned wins. Goalkeeper Lauren Jefferies made a brave early save against St James, grabbing the ball from the end of a stick as the shot was made. This may have turned the whole game. Bourton’s Lucy Hyland was always dangerous and proved to be the match winner when she curled the ball round the post from behind the goal. A fine double save from Abi Riddell kept Saints in contention, but despite several good attacks they could not level the scores.
Hyland was again on target early on against Temple Guiting ‘A’, but Millie von Wedel’s first time shot lashed the ball to the roof of the net to level. jessica Souch made it 2-1 to Bourton with a couple of minutes remaining. Despite pressing forward Temple Guiting were unable to equalise.
Temple Guiting and St James are separated by a point after their 4-1 wins against Willersey. Each has a match to play, but will depend on a series of other results going their way if they are to reach the final. Skye Kilmister gave St James an early lead against Willersey, Tia Reno-Goodwin levelling soon after. Riddell made another save which inspired her team to push forward and take a 3-1 lead when Olivia Peachey scored twice in quick succession. Libby Childerley’s late goal sealed the win.
Jodie Wood put Willersey ahead and an upset looked possible. Temple Guiting rattled the post twice gefore Jess Ardron, Lettice Tilley Loughrey (twice) and Von Wedel gave their team victory.
St Davids and Ilmington are now only a couple of points above St James, with games in hand. Mickleton and Dormer House appear to be a long way behind the leaders, but do have to play them, so are still in contention.Girls’ Matches
Temple Guiting  1-2 Bourton on the Water
Temple Guiting  4-1 Willersey
St James 4-1 Willersey
St James 0-1 Bourton on the WaterNext week, 28th February 2017 the ‘A’ Team competition continues when Dormer House, St Davids, St James, Temple Guiting, Bourton on the Water and North Cotswold meet to decide which teams will contest the final.


Cotswold Floorball League 7th February 2017

The Cotswold Floorball League’s ‘A’ Team competition’s latest qualification stage has been completed. Dormer House, Temple Guiting and Ilmington finished locked at the top of the group, with 13,12 and 11 points respectively. All three are invited to join Bourton on the Water, North Cotswold, St Davids and St James on Tuesday 28th February to decide this year’s finalists.
Ilmington started the day in pole position, but faltered against St Marys, who scored early on through Louis Hill, who latched on to Alex Law’s pin point pass. Francesco Cherchi was in brilliant form all evening in the Broadway team’s goal and was only beaten by the sheer perseverence of Ilmington’s forwards when Jackson Aylott forced home the ball after a goalmouth scramble in the final seconds.  Ilmington went on to defeat highly fancied Mickleton when Aylott, Jensen Armstrong and Ed Spencer scoring in a 3-0 win.
Dormer House started the season very slowly, but may be returning to the form which saw them dominate the competition for six seasons from the year 2000. St Mary’s Cherchi kept them at bay for most of the match until a power play enabled Finlay Holland-Bird to score the only goal of the match. Mickleton appeared to have the measure of Dormer, Luke Brooks giving them an early lead, again during a power play. However. Ethan Cooper (twice) and Dylan Glockling combined well up front to make it 3-1 by full time. Dormer’s final opponents were the youngsters of Sedgeberrow who have done so well throughout the season. Age and experience told as Glockling, Holland-Bird and Cooper each netted a brace for a 6-0 win. They now go into the final qualification with  a good chance of reaching the final if they can keep on winning. The only problem may be that an early defeat and a draw will now count against them.
Sedgeberrow  garnered another point in a goal less draw with St Marys, before losing to a lone goal by Mickleton’s Tilly Walker. Mickleton also beat Blockley, 4-1, Alex Adams’ hat trick  joining Ed Irwin’s goal, against Seth Daly-Allan’s lone strike.
Mickleton’s qualification hopes were dashed by a resolute Temple Guiting side. Richard Upton put Guiting ahead and Will Puddy made it 2-0 soon after. Adams pulled one back for Mickleton, but could not prevent Puddy from making it 3-1 at the end. Guiting were also successful against Sedgeberrow, Upton, Sam Sinfield and Puddy securing a 3-0 win. Temple Guiting’s advancement was confirmed in a nervous 0-0 draw with St Marys.
The remaining match was a 1-0 win for Blockley over St Marys, Oliver Gill somehow finding a way past Cherchi, when his defence abandoned him temporarily.

‘A’ Team Matches
Blockley 1-0 St Marys
Blockley 1-4 Mickleton
Temple Guiting 3-0 Sedgeberrow
Mickleton 0-3 Ilmington
Dormer House 6-0 Sedgeberrow
Temple Guiting 3-1 Mickleton
Temple Guiting 0-0 St Marys

Ilmington 1-1 St Marys
Dormer House 3-1 Mickleton
Sedgeberrow 0-1 Mickleton
Sedgeberrow 0-0 St Marys
Dormer House 1-0 St Marys

In the first week back after half term (on 21st February 2017) The ‘B’ Team competition continues when Blockley, St Davids, St James, Temple Guiting, and CCS meet. On the same evening Bourton on the Water, Temple Guiting A, Willersey and St James will play Girls’ League matches in an effort to clarify which teams will qualify for the final.


Cotswold Floorball League 31st January 2017

The absence of two teams from the Cotswold League ‘A’ Team matches meant that only five matches could be played. The space created in the schedule enabled five Girls’ League matches to take place and will ease fixture congestion later in the season.
Ilmington, has clearly qualified for the next round of ‘A’ Team matches. There is no clear second qualifier, so both teams (Blockley and Sedgeberrow) have been invited to attend next week’s play offs. The tied teams played out a goal less draw . Each went on to defeat a Shipston team which was doubling up in the Girls’ League matches being played on the same evening. Blockley’s Isaac Aylmore scored the winner in their match, with a long shot which kept very low, evaded a host of defenders and managed to sneak in by the post, giving the keeper no chance. This proved to be a feature of many goals scored on the night. Sedgeberrow’s Aidan Reid netted both his team’s goals, one early and one late, in a 2-0 win. Sedgeberrow were unable to beat a dominant Ilmington team which ran out 3-0 winners. This was actually the third match in a row for Shipston, who must have been tiring, yet gave their best performance of the night. All the goals were the result of good Ilmington play, rather than errors by the defenders. Harriet Noyes, drafted in as goalie after the first two games, made a series of good saves. Ed Spencer and Jensen Armstrong each scored with well directed long shots, before Armstrong sealed victory. This was the last goal of the evening and probably the best, as he was forced to work hard for an opening despite the attentions of several opponents, before flicking to the one open corner of the goal. Ilmington also netted three against Sedgeberrow, who were venturing into the ‘A’ Team competition for the first time. Ana Syme’s long free hit opened the scoring, followed by another Armstrong brace.
These results leave Shipston in twelfth place, followed by St Catharines and Willersey. There may be an opportunity to play the six missing games at a later stage. These may change the lower places, but can’t affect qualification towards the final.

The Girls’ League saw matches played between three of the top ranked teams, the best of last week’s qualifiers (Shipston) and an extra match for Sedgeberrow. The latter team went home happy, having given their best performance of the night, a late Livi Powell goal giving them victory over the Temple Guiting team which had topped one of the qualifying pools. Temple Guiting also suffered defeat, 2-1, against Ilmington … runners up in the other group. Charlotte Smith’s long shot put the Warwickshire side ahead, Millie von Wedel levelled, and an Ebony Burgess long shot (yes .. another) won the match. Temple Guiting had started the evening well against the other pool winner, St Davids, neither side scoring. Both defences stayed strong, very little getting past Saints’ Bella Righton or Guiting’s Asia Adebanjo. When the defences leaked momentarily Daisy O’Brien (Guiting) and Niamh Curzons (Saints) were unbeatable. St Davids had already shown that they will be difficult to beat, after a 5-0 demolition of a Shipston which did not play badly, but was kept under perpetual pressure. Skye Drinkwater’s hat trick was backed up by two scores from Jasmine Chamberlain. A feature of both St Davids matches was the way almost every pass found its intended recipient. Ilmington strengthened their postion with a 2-0 win against Shipston, Burgess shooting from distance to evade the keeper, the second time with the aid of a cruel deflection off a defender.
Shipston, St Catharines, Willersey and Sedgeberrow are now out of contention in the Girls’ League, but their results may yet influence which teams actually qualify for the final stages.

‘A’ Team Matches
Blockley A 0-0 Sedgeberrow
Blockley A 1-0 Shipston
Shipston 0-2 Sedgeberrow
Shipston 0-3 Ilmington A
Ilmington A 3-0 SedgeberrowGirls’ Team Matches
Temple Guiting A Girls 0-1 Sedgeberrow
Temple Guiting A Girls 0-0 St Davids

St Davids 5-0 Shipston
Ilmington 2-1 Temple Guiting A Girls
Ilmington 2-0 Shipston

Next week the ‘A’ Team competition continues the play offs when Ilmington, Blockley, Sedgeberrow, St Marys, Temple Guiting, Dormer House and Mickleton meet to find the two teams which will proceed to the next round.


Cotswold Floorball League 24th January 2017

The Cotswold League Girls’ Competition entered the first play off stage with Shipston coming top of the group, closely followed by Temple Guiting B and Dormer House. The latter team had three straight wins, but were not helped by the loss of two matches in the earlier qualifying pool, when their squad was depleted by other commitments. Millie Kinch pushed home a rebound off the keeper and Isla Hughes scored the second in a 2-0 win over Sedgeberrow. Hughes was also on target for a hat trick in defeating Willersey 3-1. Jodie Wood gave her team some hope when making it 2-1, but the bigger stronger Moreton side prevailed. St Catharines gave Dormer House their toughest trial of the night, Claudia Evans’ long range shot giving them an early lead. Hughes levelled with a wrap around shot from behind the goal and made it 2-1 with a stylish turn and flick.
Shipston, with two wins already to their credit, consolidated their position with a 2-0 win over Sedgeberrow, Izzy Cooper netting both. Tegan Hammick, in her first stint as goalkeeper, showed that she is a ‘natural’ in that position, blocking several shots and casually catching the high shots of Sedgeberrow’s Lauren Smith, which would defeat most other ‘keepers. Willersey shocked Shipston when Jodie Wood netted early on, only for Cooper to equalise straight from the face off. The Warwickshire side then had to survive a two minute ‘sin binning’, the defence holding firm. Harriet Noyes scored the winner with a rocket long shot from halfway. Another goalkeeper in good form was St Catharines’ Evie Jeavons who kept Shipston at bay to earn a 0-0 draw.
Temple Guiting ‘B’ was another team playing short handed, all their other players being unable to play, or ‘tied’ to their ‘A’ Team. They surprised everyone but themselves with a pair of 2-1 wins over St Catharines and Willersey and a 1-2 loss to Sedgeberrow. Nuala Lamballe scored all five of her team’s goals. Livi Powell and Lauren Smith scored for Sedgeberrow, Lamballe’s effort being a late consolation. Tia Reno-Goodwin had put Willersey ahead, but the defence was unable to hold out against the determined Guiting attack. Claudia Evans was St Catharines’ scorer , again a late consolation, but it was the best goal of the night. Tidalily Maomorn tackled her opponent, sent the ball upfield to Hannah Curtis, who unselfishly passed across for Claudia to shoot home.

Dormer House 2-0 Sedgeberrow
Dormer House 3-1 Willersey
Shipston 2-0 Sedgeberrow
Shipston 2-1 Willersey
Temple Guiting B 1-2 Sedgeberrow
Temple Guiting B 2-1 Willersey

St Catharines 1-2 Dormer House
St Catharines 1-2 Temple Guiting B
St Catharines 0-0 Shipston

Next week the ‘A’ Team competition starts the first round of play offs when Ilmington, Blockley, St Catharines, Shipston and Sedgeberrow meet to find the two teams which will proceed to the next round.


Cotswold Floorball League 17th January 2017

The Cotswold League Girls’ Competition saw completion of the qualifying pools at tonight’s matches. Three teams were forced to play four a side because of injuries. The increase in available space led to a real improvement in the play of those teams, so that a skilful player had the chance to run riot.
St Davids consolidated their top spot with a 3-0 win over Willersey and a 4-0 victory against Sedgeberrow. The goals were shared out in the Willersey game, Jasmine Chamberlain, Ruby Farrell and Lilly Whitworth netting in turn. The score would have been higher had the four players not played so well, particularly Lily-belle Wood, in goal for the first time. Chamberlain also scored against Sedgeberrow, adding to a Skye Drinkwater hat trick. Niamh Curzons’ double shut out keeps her very high in the ‘Top Goalkeeper’ table.
Ilmington and Bourton on the Water, the latter much depleted by athletics fixtures, also secured two wins. Maisie Withers and Rose Jukes scored against Willersey, whilst a somewhat fortunate score against Sedgeberrow secured the second victory. Ebony Burgess rushed in to block a defender’s clearance, missing the ball with her stick, but earning sore shins as the ball bounced off her and into the net. They all count! Ilmington’s Mery Sutherland was another shut out star.
Bourton on the Water’s  Lauren Jefferies was one of the players who found that the extra space suited her. She scored three times against Sedgeberrow, using the back wall rebound, a fortunate long shot creeping in, and the best goal of the evening when a pass received whilst facing her own goal was turned into a goal by an elegant spin and the perfect shot. Jessica Souch added the fourth on receipt of a perfect long pass. Lauren Smith scored a late consolation for Sedgeberrow. Bourton’s Jefferies also netted both goals in their Willersey game, for whom a stubborn defence was outstanding.

St Catharines were involved in two of the most exciting matches of the night. Hannah Curtis gave them the lead against Willersey, only for Jodie Wood to level. Imogen Hill put Saints ahead once more and Jodie Wood scored a replica of her earlier goal for a 2-2 draw. Hill was in target again, when her long range free hit somehow evaded the Sedgeberrow keeper for a 1-0 win.
CCS Girls were also short handed, yet played really well to maintain an unbeaten record in twelve games. The only losses of points were in three matches against St Davids, Bourton on the Water and Mickleton. Tonight they opened well, Lily Lewis tucking the ball home. Unfortunately a defensive lapse at a free hit allowed Tia Reno-Goodwin to find the gap in the wall and equalise. Borrowed goalie Eve Smith was forced into a couple of saves before Isobel Clark-Groves and Lewis combined well for the latter to score three more goals without the defence being troubled.  Borrowing Lily-Belle Wood for the Sedgeberrow match and allowing their opponents to play with a full complement, CCS found this to be a tough game. Sedgeberrow’s Lauren Smith sent in a superb shot which deserved more, only for Wood to save brilliantly. Sedgeberrow then had a player sent off and Lewis scored on the power play. After that Sedgeberrow had the best of the play, Clark-Groves exhausting herself to help defenders Felicity Goble and Tilly Mills to keep the ball away from Wood’s goal. In the final seconds Lauren Smith finally evaded the defence and shot homeward. A deflection took the ball past Wood, yet Mills somehow avoided giving away a penalty shot and deftly knocked the ball to safety.
Sedgeberrow needed a win against Willersey to avoid bottom qualifying spot, but suffered a setback when Reno-Goodwin scored. Lauren Smith did equalise, but with only seconds remaining there was no hope of winning.St Davids (12), Ilmington (10), Bourton on the Water (9) topped the qualifying table, followed by St Catharines (6), Willesrey (2) and Sedgeberrow (1). CCS are too old to proceed in the competition.CCS 1-0 Sedgeberrow
CCS 4-1 Willersey
St Davids 4-0 Sedgeberrow
St Davids 3-0 Willersey
Ilmington 1-0 Sedgeberrow
Ilmington 2-0 Willersey

Bourton on the Water 4-1 Sedgeberrow
Bourton on the Water 2-0 Willersey
St Catharines 1-0 Sedgeberrow
St Catharines 2-2 Willersey
Willersey 1-1 Sedgeberrow

Next week the Girls’ Team competition continues when St Catharines, Sedgeberrow, Willersey, Shipston, Dormer House and Temple Guiting B meet to find the one team which will proceed to the next round.



Cotswold Floorball League 10th January 2017

After its Christmas hibernation the Cotswold Floorball League got under way again with the final pool matches in the ‘A’ Team competition. Several teams were in contention for the top two qualifying spots, and it was Bourton on the Water who pwered through with two clear wins and a narrow escape. Four Jack Larner goals and two from Seth Townsend demolished a Blockley team which had more of the play than the score would indicate. Goalkeeper Alfie Joynes stopped shots at critical times before his forward line swung into action.  Temple Guiting were confident of  finishing high in the group, but stumbled when Larner’s next two goals found the net. The first was afine shot from the right wing, finding the roof of the net, the second a low drive through ‘traffic’. Townsend made it 3-0 soon after, Joynes again working hard to keep a clean sheet. It was bottom ranked Willersey who gave Bourton most problems on the night. Theo Beale was unlucky to meet Joynes on a good night and it was a lone Larner goal which settled the match. It was the best goal of the night, with Larner starting in defensive mode right against the wall behind his own goal. He then swung out to the right corner, through the middle, across halfway and up to the opposing goal, with defenders desperately trying to dispossess him, before he flicked the ball home. Bourton still have one match to play, but can not be knocked off top spot. Similarly, their missing opponents, Dormer House, are locked on fourth place with no chance of being third, nor of being overtaken.
St James had hopes of finishing in second place, defeating Blockley 2-1 in a very close game. Oliver Solomon put Saints ahead, but Oliver Gill levelled for Blockley, only for Angus Tombs to make it 2-1 seconds later. Temple Guiting strengthened their claim to second place with two Will Puddy goals against St James in a match where they always had the edge.  That left a final match in which Temple Guiting needed a win against Ilmington to clinch second place. Ilmington had already claimed a 3-0 win over Blockley, Jensen Armstrong’s strength and experience in front of goal proving decisive. Temple Guiting had much of the early pressure, with good build up, but squandered chances by trying to use force to get past Mery Sutherland in goal. When they did use finesse to finish a move Richard Upton easily made it 1-0. Ilmington now played to stretch the opposing defence, whilst their own back line stayed resolute. Eventually Armstrong shot, had his shot well saved, and Jackson Aylott flicked the ball gently goalwardas he passed by. The keeper lost sight of it as it hit post, his leg and the post again before dribbling in. The draw consigned Temple Guiting to third place.

In the play offs Ilmington, Blockley, Willersey, St Catharines and Shipston will meet on 31st January. Two qualifiers will go on to join Temple Guiting, Dormer House, Mickleton and St Marys on 7th February. Two qualifiers from that group will meet St Davids, NCSF, St James and Bourton on the Water on 28th February, the top two teams going through to the final.

St James 2-1 Blockley
St James 0-2 Temple Guiting
Bourton on the Water 1-0 Willersey
Ilmington 3-0 Blockley
Bourton on the Water 6-0 Blockley
Bourton on the Water 3-0 Temple Guiting
Ilmington 1-1 Temple Guiting
Next week the Girls’ Team competition continues when Ilmington, St Catharines, St CCS, Sedgeberrow/Blockley, Willersey/St Marys, Bourton on the Water and St Davids meet to complete the preliminary pool matches.


Cotswold Floorball League 13th December 2016

Latest league tables are attached. There are separate tabs for A, B and Girls’ Teams.
The Girls’ League table shows the original play off plan below the current table.
What happens next depends on whether one or both of the combined teams is able to play on 17th and 24th January. If either team plays, the play off system comes into operation as shown in the attachment. The three extra matches played today by St James will only apply if their opponents find themselves in the same play off group. (The St James v Ilmington match will therefore count, whatever happens.)
If neither combined team plays, the three extra matches will provide a good start to sorting out the rest of the group as a single large league.

There were four matches played tonight.
The first match listed counts in the table.
St Catharines 0-0 Ilmington

The next three matches will count if needed later in the season.
Ilmington 1-1 St James
St Davids 2-0 St James
St Catharines 0-1 St James

Ilmington and St Catharines fought out a goal less draw in which neither defence was willing to give way, Both sides had one good chance, drawing equally good saves from the respective goalkeepers.  The point gained put Ilmington into second place in the table, behind St Davids. St Catharines were left in a tie on points with Bourton on the Water, but remain  consigned to bottom place because they have conceded one goal more. The teams await confirmation that the two proposed combined teams will indeed join the competition. If they don’t, the other three matches played tonight will count.

The most exciting match of the night was the 1-1 tie between Ilmington and St James. At first it appeared that we were to see another defensive struggle, until both teams started to find openings. Ilmington rattled the post and thought that they had scored, but the referees were well positioned to judge. Ilmington’s Ebony Burgess the broke the deadlock, her first shot being well saved, only for the ball to perform a dance of its own, as it spun and squirmed over the ‘keeper, to drop limply into the net. St James pressed forward, forcing a save. Olivia Peachey blocked a clearance, tapping it on to Skye Kilmister who had her back to goal. She twirled around and deftly swept the ball in by the post for the equaliser. This game may well matter as the competition moves into the play offs.

St James defeated a stubborn St Catharines team with the goal of the night by Peachey. This time it was Kilmister who stopped the ball inside her own half and shot it on a track going just wide of goal. Peachey just left her stick in exactly the right place to deflect the ball to the other side of the goal.

St Davids gave themselves an advantage over St James, should the latter reach the final play off round, with a 2-0 win. Skye Drinkwater’s shot against the post was picked up by Jasmine Chamberlain who shot home. The Moreton team appeared to have more than the regulation six players on the pitch as every St James attack was stifled by a massed defence, yet at every opportunity a massed attack was pounding Abi Riddell’s goal. Eventually Ruby Farrell added the second with a well judged flick.

On Tuesday 10th January 2017 the ‘A’ Team should be completed when Ilmington, Bourton on the Water, St James, Blockley, Temple Guiting, Dormer House and Willersey meet.



Cotswold Floorball League 29th November 2016

The first qualifying pool in the Cotswold Floorball League’s Girls’ Competition was completed tonight.
Temple Guiting ‘A’ retained their place at the top of the table and will now wait for challengers to come through to the ‘semi final’ stage on 14th March.
Mickleton, just two points behind and St James will play against the equivalent teams from the other group on 24th January. Shipston, Temple Guiting ‘B’ and Dormer House will attempt to qualify on 17th January.
Dormer House found the evening particularly difficult, having lost players to illness and other activities. The very young team played some of the best floorball of the night, but found that the older and bigger players generally prevailed. CCS found the Dormer defence difficult to break down until Daisy Townsend, then Isobelle Groves found the net for a 2-0 win. Groves’ goal was a perfectly taken shot over the keeper’s left shoulder. A series of 2-0 defeats followed. Tilly Walker and Bethany McGoldrick gave Mickleton a 2-0 lead, only for Dormer to apply so much pressure that a penalty shot was conceded. Goalie Holly Riemer saved well and kept a clean sheet for the remaining power play.
Dormer House started at a high work rate against St James, forcing Abi Riddell into a series of saves. Unfortunately, two isolated breaks led to Olivia Peachey scoring as Saints won 2-0. Shipston also earned a 2-0 win, Grace Matthews opening the scoring, then sending ashot wide, only for it to bounce accidentally off Daisy Loveridge’s legs for an unusual score. Temple Guiting ‘B’ also registered a 2-0 win over Dormer, Millie Swait  scoring both, the second after a great clearance from first time keeper Mary Maude. Dormer House saved their best performance for table topping Temple Guiting ‘A’ Jess Ardron’s rocket of a free hit gave the Dormer keeper no chance, but Maisie Smith, indulging in a spell of ‘goal hanging’ latched onto a good clearance and slid the ball home for a well deserved equaliser and her team’s only league point so far.
Skye Kilmister’s long shot earned St James a 1-0 win over Temple Guiting ‘B’, as did Tilly Walker’s free hit for Mickleton against the same opponents.
Temple Guiting ‘A’ clinched the top qualifying spot with a 1-0 win over Mickleton, another Ardron free hit proving decisive. Walker nearly levelled in the final seconds, hitting the post. The table toppers also defeated St James 2-0, Millie von Wedel and Lettice Tilley-Loughrey the scorers.

Latest league tables are attached. There are separate tabs for A, B and Girls’ Teams.
CCS 2-0 Dormer House
St James 2-0 Dormer House
Shipston 2-0 Dormer House
Mickleton 2-0 Dormer House
Temple Guiting A 1-0 Mickleton
Temple Guiting A 2-0 St James
Temple Guiting A 1-1 Dormer House
Temple Guiting B 0-1 Mickleton
Temple Guiting B 2-0 Dormer House
Temple Guiting B 0-1 St JamesNext week the ‘B’ Team competition continues when Ilmington, Blockley, Temple Guiting, Dormer House, CCS and St Davids meet in the preliminary pool.

Cotswold Floorball League 15th November 2016

The Cotswold Floorball League’s ‘A’ Team competition recommenced when the first qualifying pool was due to have six matches played. Unfortunately, one team was unable to attend, but the other schools played the four remaining games. This leaves the pool very finely balanced, five teams being separated by just two points. St James are on top, but with at least three matches to play the other teams must fancy their own chances of topping the group and earning an easier path to the finals.
Malachy Jones and Angus Tombs each scored twice as St James defeated an unlucky Dormer House, who played some of the best floorball of the night. The Moreton side suffered a pair of disallowed goals when the scorer strayed into the goalkeeper’s area. They remedied the situation when playing Ilmington, Dylan Glockling opening the scoring. Jackson Aylott levelled for Ilmington, but they could not keep out a Dormer attack which was determined to keep their challenge alive. Finlay Holland-Bird made it 2-1, then Fergus Cronin netted the best goal of the evening. The ball was won at the back and sent up the right hand wall where Cronin’s first time strike from a narrow angle rocketed into the top left corner, giving the keeper no chance. Ilmington pressed on, but failed to beat the Dormer defence.
St James continued their goal scoring exploits with an 8-1 win over a young Willersey team. A Jones hat trick led to his sportingly being removed, only for Oliver Solomon to score a threesome of his own. A backpass gave Willersey their only chance of the match, Theo Beale crashing the ball home from the resulting free hit before the ‘wall’could form. Even then, St James’ Ethan Hill scored twice to finish a good evening for his team.
Willersey started against Ilmington by conceding an early goal to Ed Spencer. At this stage an impromptu thirty second coaching session led to goalkeeper Toby Smith playing an inspired game to keep out a confident Ilmington forward line. Eventually the sheer pressure did tell, when Jensen Armstrong scored. Smith again continued to save everything until final second when Armstrong netted at the third attempt.

Dormer House 0-4 St James
Willersey 1-8 St James
Ilmington 1-3 Dormer House
Ilmington 3-0 Willersey

Next week the A Team competition continues when St Davids, St Marys, St Catharines, North Cotswold, Shipston and Mickleton meet to finish off their preliminary pool.


The Cotswold Floorball League entered its twenty first season last on Tuesday 13th September at Chipping Campden School (CCS) when they hosted holders Ilmington, St James and Bourton on the Water.


Ilmington ebured a disappointing start to the defence of their title, losing 3-0 to a CCS team which contained several of last season’s winning team. The seniors started the game badly, losing a player to the sin-bin. Even so, they dominated play and Lily Lewis sent the ball home off a luckless defender. Lewis’ hard work made an opening for Archie Cullen to make it 2-0. CCS did not have it all their own way, several Ilmington attacks getting through to Toby Harwood, who was secure in goal. Ollie Gibb completed the scoring after a long run past several defenders.


St James extended Ilmington’s suffering, Malachy Jones completing a hat trick, with Oliver Solomon adding one in a 4-0 win. Only against Bourton on the Water did the holders find their form, having several good chances. However, it was Bourton’s Lucy Hyland whose two pieces of skill conjured goals out of nothing for a 2-0 victory. The first was a pick up behind the goal, followed by a wrap around the post. The second was a dribble, forced wide by the defence , only for a high shot to sneak in from a narrow angle.


CCS made their usual poor start to the season, this time against St James, but this time it only lasted five minutes. Constant pressure by the St James attack and great goalkeeping by Frank Wormold (continuing where he left off last season) kept CCS at bay. Two defensive slips by CCS gave Harwood no chance as Solomon and Angus Tombs scored. However, the seniors refused to collapse as Cullen took charge, scoring himself then laying on a pass for Lewis to level the scores. Now it was CCS’s turn to exert the pressure, Breyten Armstrong beating several defenders to lay off a pass for Cullen to put his team ahead. Two post rattlers late on were only kept out by Wormold’s acrobatics.


CCS had a much easier time against Bourton. Gibb and Armstrong made it 2-0 early on despite early forays by Bourton’s Jack Larner which forced Harwood into action. Only at the end did Hyland reproduce yet another delicate shot from the narrowest of angles for the best goal of the night as CCS ran out 2-1 winners.


In the final match, Bourton ensured top qualifying place in the group with Larner’s lone first minute goal proving decisive againt St James.


Each team still has four matches to play before the play off positions are decided.


Next week CCS will host Willersey, Blockley, Temple Guiting and Dormer House.



2015-16 Season

The Cotswold Floorball League’s ‘A’ Team final was played tonight at Chipping Campden School. After 176 matches and 470 goals involving 34 teams from 15 schools, Ilmington overcame Willersey 17-9 in a match which during its forty minutes featured a frantic start, threatened to become a rout, then an improbable comeback, to be finished with a determined recovery.


Willlersey A 2016


Ollie Gibb scored for Ilmington within seconds of the start, only to see Daniel Lee level straight from the next face off. Thirty seconds gone …. two goals scored. Lee was to go on to score all his sides nine goals and top the goal scoring table with an average of 2.1 goals per match. He was also highly ranked in the ‘top goalkeeper’ table because of his ‘B’ Team performances. Gibb netted eight goals in total, but was ably backed up by other scorers in the shape of Breyten Armstrong (five goals) and Archie Cullen (three goals). Not only could they all score, but they readily laid on scoring passes for each other.


In the following ten minutes Ilmington appeared to be running away with the match, shooting almost at will. Four more from Gibb and two by Armstrong made it 1-7 to Ilmington, despite the best efforts of Harrison Beale in goal and Freya Bostock at back. Willersey found the Ilmington attack almost impossible to stop and suffered from a lck of substitutes as their team tired. Yet, it was Willersey who started to find their form. Lee pulled one back, only to see it negated by another effort from Cullen. Ilmington then had a stroke of luck when Jack Meadows  ‘scored’, Armstrong’s free hit taking a nasty deflection off his leg and squirming past the unlucky Beale. As an unintentional deflection, rather than a deliberate kick, the goal was rightly allowed. 2-9 to Ilmington.


Team Referees 2016 Ilmington’s defence was doing an excellent job in stopping any attacks, but did have a spell when nothing went right for them. This started with accurate passes from Darius Atkinson at the back, to Tia Goodwin along the wall and straight across for Lee to strike home. Bostock fed Lee for another goal , then Lee did all the work for another to pull the score back to 5-9. Tiredeness again took its toll, allowing Armstong and Gibb to extend the lead to 5-11. Armstrong’s goal was the best of the match, Gibb doing all the hard work up the left wing only to have his way blocked by Bostock and Lee. He passed to Armstrong who was close to the right hand corner mark and shot immediately from the narrowest of angles to find a tiny gap in the far top corner of the net. Lee made it 6-11 at half time.


Willersey’s best chance to pull back some goals came when three Ilmington players were sent to the penalty box in quick succession for reckless tackles. This led to a couple of ‘double power plays’, but the remaing three defenders and Mery Sutherland in goal restricted Willersey to just a couple of shots and managed some counter attacks of their own. Once back to full strength Willersey were forced to pull Lee back into defence, yet conceded goals to Gibb, Cullen and Armstrong. Lee again pulled a goal back, only to see a quick riposte from Cullen, as he picked up the second rebound from Beale’s reflex saves. Lee relied once more for a Willersey team which displayed a great ‘never say die’ attitude, but could not prevent Cullen from tucking home yet another rebound.  Even with less than a minute to go, Gibb made it 8-17 and Lee finished his scoring exploits with seconds left to give the final score of 9-17.


Willersey are to be congratulated on reaching two finals, although they will , no doubt, be disappointed at leaving empty handed.


Ilmington became champions for the sixth time, equalling the record of Dormer House, who won every year from 2001 to 2006. 1-IMG_4346 Ilmington A Winners 2016


The winning Ilmington team:


Lily Lewis, Aurora Sampson, Alice Parr, Felicity Goble, Mery Sutherland, Ollie Gibb, Archie Cullen, Breyten Armstrong, Jack Meadows, Theo Sampson, Jensen Armstrong.


The Willersey team:


Freya Bostock, Daniel Lee, Tia Goodwin, Jodie Wood, Henry Robinson, Harrison Beale, Darius Atkinson




The match was very well refereed by the Chipping Campden School team of Chloe Whitworth, Joshi Gibb and timekeeper Ben Goble. Each had already refereed over forty games through the season, as did David Musgrave and Jodie Bandeira. This was actually Chloe’s sixtieth match and her father, Simon Whitworth, an Old Campdonian himself, sponsored the referee’s shirts through his plumbing business.


Top Scorers:


Daniel Lee (Willersey)               = 25 (Average 2.1 per match, the best overall)


Kyra Bostock (CCS)                     = 20 (Average 1.1 per match, the best girl)


Ollie Gibb (ilmington)                = 20 (Average 1.7 per match)


Lottie Oliver (Bourton)               = 19


Harrison Beale (Willersey)        = 18


Breyten Armstrong (Ilmington)  = 13


Sophia Torres (Bourton)             = 12


Weronika Konczalska (Bourton) = 12


Harry Ward (CCS)                       = 12


Kyle Chilton (T Guiting)              =12


Best Goalkeepers:


Lottie Oxton (CCS)                 = 0.3 per game


Kieran Rigg (CCS)                  = 0.4 per game


Lauren Jefferies (Bourton)     = 0.5 per game


Skye Drinkwater (St Davids)  = 0.7 per game


Aled Davies (Dormer House) = 0.7 per game


Will von Wedel (T Guiting)    = 0.9 per game


Daniel Lee (Willersey)           = 0.9 per game


Freya Watts (Blockley)           = 0.9 per game


The twenty-first staging of the league will start in September 2016, when it is hoped that even more schools will take part.